12 April 2006

i like new things

I was talking to my English Professor yesterday and we were talking about how I'd like to do my annotated bibliography using print sources rather than web sources. Weird concept for me... but I guess not completely out of the ordinary (i.e. when I'm told to use book sources I tend to use web sources... so I guess it's only propable that I would want to use book sources when I'm told to use web sources).

First things first: my bibliography is focusing on different articles/stories about the rising (possibly?) popularity of drugs in society. When I looked at this, I thought immediately of the jazz age, the 1940's(-60s) of the marijuana induced jazz musicians, the beatnik generation, the early 90's klub kid revolution... sadly these are counterculture things and I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want to come from this.
There is a reason behind all of this madness though... I am very familiar with the drug studies by the beatnik generation... Thompson, Burroughs, Kerouac... the only poetry I can stand comes from the beatniks... strange, huh? Hell, sometimes the only writing, in general, I can stand comes from crazy people. I like when people write about something real, something that has changed their life, something that means something. Which is why romance novels are shit to me. It's important to put all of your heart into one thing and if you cannot crank out another book in your lifetime, at least you put your all into the first one. Expecting an author to write book number two is expecting too much, I say. (I aspire to write a book before I die)

Anyhow, he told me about this book he read or had heard of... The Consumers Union Report on Licit and Illicit Drugs. Needless to say, I think, this spiked my attention and the first chance I got to use my laptop yesterday evening I looked it up on the web, knowing they have a copy in the Parks Library just in case I couldn't find it via the intarweb.

This is a mess... don't read what I write, people... I make no sense half of the time.
After going through multiple chapters of this book in complete awe, I realize how little I actually know about drugs and this is completely interesting and I felt somewhat compelled to share it with the world (or my brother).

I am pretty confident in my knowledge concerning drugs and the like... that does not mean that I am a user or abuser but I like to know what is out there. If someone asks me if I want something I'd like to be able to say no, or yes if I'm feeling jepardous, with confidence. After all, it's good to be informed about things that you'll probably be familiar with depending on your interests. I'm probably digging myself into some hole, making anyone who doesn't know me think that I'm in a meth lab with a needle sticking out of my arm and a cigarette dangling out of my mouth trying to light a joint or asking my peer to pass me the heroin all while tripping on lsd.

After all, meth labs are prominent in Iowa...

edit as of the next day... i ramble and don't make much sense. sorry for the nonsense that i post.

2 comments:

spenser villwock said...

drugs, drugs are bad, mmmk?

myself002 said...

I thought most of the jazz musicians were on heroine? Charlie Parker got hooked and all who aspired to be like him followed suit.. Just something for your paper :)